Are you collaborative, balanced, optimistic and honest. If so this job could be the right one for you.
Wharton Tree & Ecology Consultants Ltd is based in Alcester, Warwickshire, with clients across England and Wales. As a result of our continued commitment and increased client base we are looking for an Assistant Ecologist to join the team. The new position is aimed at a self-motivated, individual with good communication skills who wants to both develop their career, undertaking technical work and to assist with the development of the ecology side of the company.
The main responsibility of the position is to work in the ecology section, delivering projects from start to finish, managing sub-consultants, supporting staff and to assist with the continued ecology development.
Skills required for the position
The successful applicant will:
- be an excellent communicator and organiser and have excellent report writing skills.
- be diligent and accurate in your work, well presented, trustworthy and punctual.
- be willing to take this opportunity to learn, grow and provide a consistently high level of service, as part of our motivated team.
- be computer and IT literate with experience in using Microsoft Office products, with good language skills and an understanding of time management.
- be confident in providing ideas.
- hold an Bachelor’s degree and ideally a post-graduate qualification in ecology or an ecology-related subject.
- have a strong practical knowledge of planning and delivering habitat and protected species surveys.
- have experience of preparing fee proposals for a range of ecological services.
- be a member of CIEEM (or other relevant professional body) or be eligible for membership.
- have an in-depth understanding of legislative and policy issues relating to ecology and the planning process.
- preferably hold a Class 1 bat licence and/or Great Crested Newt Class 1 licence (minimum)
- have an understanding European Protected Species Mitigation Licences.
- excellent organisational skills and an ability to meet deadlines on time and within budget.
- have a full UK driving licence and your own car are essential as travelling is an integral part of the role.
Most importantly, be able to provide solutions to our clients.
Duties of the position
The, applicant will be involved with, but not confined too:
- Assisting with preliminary ecological assessments,
- Assisting with botanical and/or protected species survey (multi-species and licensed surveyors preferred).
- Undertaking bat surveys, including the collation and analysis of data from building inspections, emergence / re-entry surveys, transect surveys and static bat recording.
- Habitat design and management plan writing.
- Clerk of works duties.
- GIS mapping and technical report writing, ideally with track record of producing professional consultancy reports.
- Client interfacing and delivery of projects to time and budget.
£17,000 – £22,000 DOE
Final salary and package will be based on qualification and experience. This is a position initially based on a 37 hour working week and 3 month probationary period.
If you want to develop your career, join a dynamic company, which is ISO9001 compliant, please send your CV with a covering letter of experience to Peter Wharton (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you wish to discuss the opportunity and role further please call Peter or Matt Wall on 01789 459458.