Wharton Tree & Ecology Consultants Ltd is based in Alcester, Warwickshire, with clients across England and Wales. As a result of our continued commitment and increased client base we are looking for an Ecologist to undertake technical work and support the senior team in developing the ecology side of the company.
This new position is aimed at a self-motivated, honest and positive-minded individual with good communication skills who wants to both develop their career, provide ideas to the business and deliver ecology projects.
Delivering projects from start to finish with support of senior staff will comprise the majority of this role. It will also include preparing fee proposals, managing sub-consultants, and supporting junior staff and the marketing department as required. If this sounds like the perfect job for you give us a call, we’d like to chat to you.
Skills required for the position
The successful applicant will:
- hold an Bachelor’s degree and ideally a post-graduate qualification in ecology or an ecology-related subject.
- have ecological consultancy experience (2-3 years), with demonstrable project delivery experience.
- be a member of CIEEM (or other relevant professional body) or be eligible for membership at least at graduate level
- have experience of preparing fee proposals for a range of ecological services.
- have demonstrable protected species survey experience, particularly bats and great crested newts, with an interest in developing survey skills for other protected species.
- Protected species survey licences for bats and great crested newts is desirable but not essential, though we would expect good and evidenced progress to have been made towards applying for a survey licence.
- have good botanical identification skills, and must be capable of undertaking extended phase 1 habitat surveys
- have a good understanding of legislative and policy issues driving ecological work and the planning process.
- have an understanding of the European Protected Species Mitigation Licence process.
- be an excellent communicator and organiser and have good and demonstrable report writing skills (i.e. preliminary ecological appraisal and protected species survey reports, and experience or at least understanding of ecological impact assessment),
- be capable of producing ecological plans in a clear format (i.e. phase 1 plans, ecological enhancement plans, species survey plans etc.)
- be diligent and accurate, well presented, trustworthy and punctual.
- be computer and IT literate with experience in using Microsoft Office products, with good language skills and an understanding of time management.
- excellent organisational skills and an ability to meet deadlines on time and within budget.
- have a full UK driving licence and your own car are essential as travelling is an integral part of the role.
Duties of the position
The successful applicant will be involved with:
- Preliminary ecological appraisals and Ecological Impact Assessment, inclusive of the design/delivery of appropriate ecological mitigation strategies.
- Botanical and/or protected species surveys including night time and early morning survey work.
- Bat surveys, including the collation and analysis of data from building inspections, emergence / re-entry surveys, transect surveys and static bat recording.
- Habitat design and management plan writing, including ecological enhancement plans.
- Clerk of works duties.
- GIS mapping and technical report writing, ideally with track record of producing professional consultancy reports.
- Client interfacing and delivery of projects to time and budget.
£23,000 – £28,000 DOE
Final salary and package will be based on qualification and experience. This is a position initially based on a 37 hour working week and 3 month probationary period.
If you want to develop your career, join a dynamic company, which is ISO9001 compliant, please send your CV with a covering letter of experience to Peter Wharton (firstname.lastname@example.org or Matt Wall (email@example.com). If you wish to discuss the opportunity and role further please call Peter or Matt on 01789 459458.